Not only does Arrested Development have one of the most dedicated fanbases in recent memory, the show’s fans have also consistently redefined what steadfast devotion to a long cancelled television show means to a layman. The show inspires obsession through its numerous callbacks, bouts of intertextuality, and an almost militarized commitment to the joke-a-second comedic structure. For a select group, Arrested Development lines are simply a part of the vernacular.
Now with the recent news that Arrested Development will be returning for a fourth season on Netflix in 2013, AD fans now have something definitive to look forward to. In the meanwhile, they can also eagerly anticipate the frequent development news between now and the new season, such as a recent contest to find six people to appear in walk-on roles. The show asked for contestants to submit something that proves your undying loyalty to all-things Arrested Development submitted to the official website or through Instagram, Tumblr, or Twitter with the hashtag #BluthWalkOn.
Unfortunately, the contest ended yesterday, but there are many entry highlights that we at the Airspace felt should be brought to the attention of the public. While each and every submission showcased a fan’s love for the show, these eight entries went above and beyond creatively. Here they are in no particular order.
- A photo of a woman dressed up as a post-facelift Lucille Bluth surrounded by signifiers of her best moments in all 53 episodes.
- A picture of a baby dressed in Tobias Funke attire.
- A 16-panel Arrested Development comic strip
- A helpful diagram on “Should We Start A Business” courtesy of Gobias Industries
- The unofficial (Michael still owns animation rights) Mr. Banana Grabber video game: Mr. Banana Grabber and the Sword of Destiny
- A remarkably inventive digital illustration of Michael and the eccentric Bluth family
- And finally, a fictional application to DSM-IV for the inclusion of Never Nude Syndrome, signed by Tobias Funke M.D./Analrapist